what can improv do for your company?
¨Business is an act of improvisation. For all the planning, all the controls, all the governance, and all the things we try to do to keep the variables down, business doesn’t cooperate.¨
Tom Yorton, Second City
About Barcelona Improv Group
Our company strives to give professionals an outlet to express themselves, work collaboratively with others, let their humour and creativity shine, and strengthen their professional relationships through play. Our experienced teachers and facilitators create a space where performers and professionals can work together, build trust, open new lines or communication and think outside the box.
Our instructors specialise in teaching improvisation to native and non-native speakers of English, and are skilled at lowering inhibitions, making participants feel welcome and valued, and helping the team to get the best out of one another.
What is Improv?
Improv (short for Improvised Theater) is an unscripted form of theater where actors compose theatre as it is performed. Characters, dialogue, and story are created spontaneously through the collaborative effort of the performers. Unlike traditional theatre, where the same piece is practiced, repeated, and honed over time, actors prepare for an improv performance by fine tuning skills of listening, agreement, courage, and building on the ideas of others, rather than feeling pressure to constantly invent.
Improv has to do with the most essential quality of a successful business: communication. The skills of improv- listening authentically, reacting in the moment, creating collaboratively, trusting your partners- these are the skills that allow a business to work most effectively. While your products can only function as they were built to, your employees and your team, have the capacity to become better communicators, increasing their effectiveness and productivity. Through our program, any company can enhance their internal dynamics, create a more functional environment, and help individuals work creatively and confidently.
Goals of BIG Improv Workshops
- Learn Collaborative Idea Generation – agreement, incorporation, and improvement
- Work effectively as a team
- Build trust among members of the company
- Listen unselfishly to the ideas of others
- Tune your thoughts, words, and body to be creative
- Trust your unconscious
- Develop your ability to think on your feet
- Gain confidence speaking and presenting in front of others
Tailored for you
Based on consultation with our facilitators, we can create a workshop to address your team’s specific needs.
Themes can be combined, adjusted, and added to based on your objectives.
- Trust Building and Teamwork: Build a safe environment to express oneself, nurture the ideas of others, and release vulnerability.
- Agreement and Acceptance: Learn to listen to and accept the ideas, reasoning, and emotional investment of others.
- Creativity: Focus on Collaborative Idea Generation, reduction of ego, and developing, supporting, and executing goals.
- Barrier-Breaking: Have fun, express and play freely to connect with others within newly-formed or yet-to-bond teams
- Listening: Go beyond processing the words and allow yourself to be affected and changed by what others communicate to you.
- Public Speaking / Presentation: Loosen up, stay in control, and present yourself with confidence and calm.
- Sharing Focus: Every member of your team was hired because of the unique qualities they give to the team. Let everyone be heard.
- Scenario Practice: Role play work environment simulations and renew your perspective.
Options for your Company
BIG offers a wide range of options for your company, each fully customizable to suit your needs and timetable.
The following options can be expanded to suit the number of participants
- Workshops – Bring a facilitator in from 2 hours to a full day, guiding your team through exercises and activities addressing any of the above themes or issues specifically related to your company´s goals. We accommodate groups as small as 6 or as large as 100.
- Improv Show – Watch a 90 minute improvised comedy show from a team of BIG performers, with games and jokes inspired by and geared towards your company. We’ll involve your team in the show for an unpredictable night of fun.
- Great BIG Weekend – Enjoy a full weekend of workshops with time to relax between activities in a beach or countryside location. Past Great BIG Weekends have seen participants arrive Friday evening for a casual orientation, a full day of fun and developmental activities on Saturday, and a half day on Sunday, allowing participants to return to Barcelona in the late afternoon.
Prices vary according to the number of workshops and teachers required and do not include the cost of procuring a venue, as these vary greatly depending on need. We can adjust to the needs of any company size, so let us know what you need and we´ll show you what applied improvisation can do for you.
To book an Improv for Business Workshop with Barcelona Improv Group or to learn more, please email email@example.com or call +34 675 067 677